Re: Common causes of performance problems and outages

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jul 02 14:24:39 2001

On Mon, 02 July 2001, Maya wrote:
> I want to find out the most common causes of
> performance problems as well as outages in
> networks today. Any information is welcome!

In roughly the order

1. Network Engineers (What's this command do?)
2. Power failures (What's this switch do?)
3. Cable cuts (Backhoes, enough said)
4. Hardware failures (What's that smell?)
5. Congestion (More Bandwidth! Captain, I'm giving you all she's got!)
6. Attacks (malicious, you know who you are)
7. Software bugs (Your call is very important to us....)