Re: standards for giving out blocks of IP addresses

  • From: up
  • Date: Tue Jun 12 17:41:49 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:17:01 EDT, shsu@HydroOne.com  said:
> > Hi, is there a standard or a practice on how much IP addresses an ISP should
> > provide to his/her client given that this client has bought only 2Mb of
> > bandwidth and this client is an ISP?
>
> Umm.. don't bother.  Let's think this through.  2Mbits/sec of bandwidth
> will only sustain about 40 56KB modems doing a simultaneous download.
>
> Even adding in think time and the like, a /24 should be plenty wide enough.

Not really...I regularly see 180+ lines filled and BW utilization averages
about 800-900kbps.  This is with a couple hundred websites, outsourced
news a dedicated DS0 customer that stays pegged almost all the time and
several colocated servers.

I'll bet this has been hashed here a few times...

up@3.am							    http://3.am