RE: /24s run amuck again

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Sun Jun 10 04:13:06 2001

Email sent to gharmon@rhythms.net, cgreen@rhythms.net, doroberts@rhythms.net on Feb 8 - no response.

>   3491      651      CAIS Internet

DSL providers are becoming very bad about this. Someone pointed out to me
off list that CAIS had carved up PSI's /8 into over 500 /24s.

>    690      502      Merit Network

Well at least we don't have to go too far to find the guilty party. :P

>  18994      468      Global Crossing
>  15870      436      Global Center Frankfurt
>  18993      325      Global Crossing

Those are the GlobalCenter datacenters being converted into the Exodus
network. It looks like they are leaking a sizable number of /32s /30s etc,
and since its GBLX space I'm assuming its stuff that used to be aggregated
into a single announcement.
Email sent to: ipadmin@gblx.net, huberman@gblx.net, ip-eng@gblx.net, scarter@gblx.net, bgp@gblx.net, bp@gblx.net on June 4 - everyone responded that the problem was forwarded to Exodus and from there it disappeared into a black hole.

Basically, after having sent out dozens of emails over the past 6 months I have come to the conclusion that there are a few out there that will fix things when presented with the problem. But the vast majority either don't have a clue, don't want to have a clue or couldn't give a damn that the routing tables are increasing in size.

-Hank

> There is no attempt to measure aggregation - that's the job of the
> CIDR Report. This simply looks at the prefix announced and if it is
> outside the above limits, it is counted. Makes very interesting
> reading...

The one interesting pattern I noticed in the rampant /24 abuse was non-
contiguous announcements. It's likely that this kept them off the CIDR
Report and any other scans which only looked for contiguous announcements.
For example:

1.2.3.0/24
1.2.5.0/24
1.2.7/0.24