Re: POS OC48 interfaces using different wave length

  • From: Steve Feldman
  • Date: Thu Jun 07 13:43:49 2001

> > Are 1310 and 1550 optics comptatible ?
>
> Can humans see ultraviolet light?  These are two different wavelengths.
> The equipment is specifically designed and built to _not_ allow
> interaction between different wavelengths.
>
> One can run 1310 and 1550 on the same fiber with WDM, but 1310 and 1550
> won't talk to each other.

As someone already pointed out, the receivers
are often wide enough to see both wavelengths.
(Cheaper to build that way.)

So it might work, depending on the loss and dispersion
characteristics of the specific fiber installation.
But I'd be surprised if Cisco would actually support
that configuration...

An WDM demultiplexer typically has a passive narrowband
optical filter in front of the receiver to allow
only the desired wavelength through.

	Steve