Re: POS OC48 interfaces using different wave length

  • From: Dalvenjah FoxFire
  • Date: Thu Jun 07 13:40:02 2001

Unless I've severely forgotten most of my physics classes, no; attenuators
reduce a signal's strength so as to not overload the input stage of the
receiver, if the signal is that strong; or, as mentioned later, to simulate
a long-distance run over a short length of fiber.

1310nm and 1550nm wavelengths are entirely different frequencies
(not amplitudes) of light. The only way to convert is to use an active
repeater that has the one type of transceiver on one side, and the other
on the opposite side, or to use Acme Singularity Inc's black hole with
ST connectors in a nifty in-line package to slow down the light wave
enough (and speed it up in the other direction) that it shifts
wavelengths. ( }:P )

-dalvenjah

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:08:46AM -0700, Wayne Bouchard put this into my mailbox:

--
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  Heard recently: "I don't care if you
 Founder (and CEO)                     ARE a CEO, nobody under 21 gets in."