Re: PSINet and C&W peering

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Tue Jun 05 13:42:49 2001

> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Christian Nielsen <cnielsen@nielsen.net>

[ snip ]

> BTW, to solve these types of problems, Smaller companies need to band
> together and start peering with each other in the local metro area.

Until the smaller companies get bought out by OneM^H^H^H^H a national
provider who has no interest in peering.

Quite frankly, it seems that most smaller companies have no clue what the
heck peering is or why it's good.  I've approached a few, and none seem to
get it.

One (cable company, mind you) wanted to *charge more for peering than for
transit*.  They thought that we would be getting some sort of "priority
access" to their network, and wanted to charge a hefty price... and this
was talking to a net admin, not a droid.  Jeez.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: (316) 794-8922