Re: 95th Percentile again!

  • From: Arnold Nipper
  • Date: Sun Jun 03 07:26:25 2001

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 11:59:17PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:

> 	I don't agree that this is so for 95th percentile. Exactly which five
> minute interval a packet is counted in will affect the results. There is no
> way to totally agree on which such interval a packet belongs in. Similarly,
> where the five-minute intervals begin and end is arbitrary and affects the
> final numbers.

It doesn't! You might get a different result as two samplers do not start at
the same time. With 5-minute-sampling this max. differs for <5 minutes. You
are always counting a five-minute-average and *NOT* the current bandwidth
consumption. If you were doing so you are absolutely right. But that's a
complete diffent story.

So adding up all the five-minute-samples should yield the same amount as if
you would have counted bytes.

--Arnold