Re: Clear Channel on a T1

  • From: Douglas A. Dever
  • Date: Thu Mar 22 15:00:56 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 CARL.P.HIRSCH@sargentlundy.com wrote:

> Salesdroid asks "You wanna give us $$$ for clear channel?"
>
> Us: "..... ?"
>
> Salesdroid: "It's so you can get 64kbit rather than the normal 56k"

I'm quite suprised they'd offer you a data circuit that wasn't b8zs.  I
think they're just using this as a way to get an extra couple of bucks per
month per circuit.  Without falling into a long discorse about timing on a
DS1, the bottom line is that you get ~1.54Mbit/sec because the data stream
is manipulated to maintain timing.  A non-clear channel data circuit would
only use 7 bits for data, with the 8th bit always being a 1 to maintain
timing.

Now I'm curious...  Can anyone give me a situation where it would be
"better" to have a non-clear channel data circuit?

--
Douglas A. Dever  Network Engineering Manager   dever@verio.net
"We put the fuse in dot bomb."