Re: FTP exploit?

  • From: Spencer.Wood
  • Date: Mon Mar 19 16:45:15 2001

Yes, FTP based attacks are up....Check out http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html#scans
Spencer Wood, Network Administrator
Ohio Department Of Transportation
1320 Arthur E. Adams Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43221

E-Mail: Spencer.Wood@dot.state.oh.us
Phone: 614.644.5422/Fax: 815.361.0714

Clayton Fiske <clay@bloomcounty.org>
Sent by: owner-nanog@merit.edu

03/19/2001 04:01 PM

        To:        nanog@merit.edu
        cc:
        Subject:        FTP exploit?

Is there a (fairly) recent exploit for common ftp daemons going around
lately? In the past several days, I've seen a very noticeable jump in
the number of people attempting anonymous ftp logins. Typically I
noticed it once or twice a week, and usually single attempts, but now
they're coming in every few hours and they each make 4 attempts within
a second (which is one per IP bound to the box I'm watching). It looks
like it has to be some kind of script.

Anyone else seeing any noticeable increases like this?

-c