Re: DECNet over IP?

  • From: Spencer.Wood
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 13:02:29 2001

GRE tunnel's are the best.  We used that for over a year to tunnel Banyan Vines across our IP Network....

It works great....

Spencer

Spencer Wood, Network Administrator
Ohio Department Of Transportation
1320 Arthur E. Adams Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43221

E-Mail: Spencer.Wood@dot.state.oh.us
Phone: 614.644.5422/Fax: 815.361.0714

Simon Lockhart <simonl@rd.bbc.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nanog@merit.edu

03/14/2001 11:30 AM

        To:        "Stillman, Kevin" <STILLMKT@sysadm.suny.edu>
        cc:        "'nanog@merit.edu'" <nanog@merit.edu>
        Subject:        Re: DECNet over IP?

>Has anyone had any experience successfully getting native DECNet packets
>encapsulated in an IP packet and transmitted over an IP network? The
>solution I am trying to create will allow VAXes to continue to talk DECNet
>on their LANs and have the ability to communicate with DECNet areas on a WAN
>via IP. Essentially we are try to remove the DECNet protocol from our
>intranet while not disrupting location's DECNet configurations.

I've not tried it, but my gut reaction would be to use GRE tunnels. Have
you looked on cisco.com for sample configs?

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516