Re: DSL backhaul provisioning

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 00:46:29 2001

    > We just got a bid on DSL service saying they provision at 200 DSL per
    > T1.  That seems awfully high to me, since DSL potentially runs a lot
    > more traffic than 56Kbps modems.  I was planning at 24 per T1.

This was hashed out on the ISP/C mailing list about a month ago.  Most
providers are putting in between 200 and 250 DSL users per T1 of outbound
bandwidth.  Think about it: $2K/200 is $10/user/month of bandwidth.
$2K/24 is $85/user/month of bandwidth.  If you're selling your DSL lines
for $300-$400/month, it's fine to give people $85 of bandwidth, but if
your DSL costs the same as everybody else who's losing money on it, you
need to keep that cost down in the $8-$10 range.

                                -Bill