Re: new.net

  • From: richb
  • Date: Thu Mar 08 18:09:07 2001

Jim Dixon wrote:
> First I'll remind you that there is a world outside of the United
> States.  Then I'll ask: are you at all serious?  You expect to ban
> UK companies from registering in .co.uk?

Last I checked, dot-com was never a US-specific domain.  I don't see
anything US-centric in my posting, other than the reference to the US
PTO.

As for my being serious--no, a ban would be silly.  But it *is* food
for thought when contemplating the trend toward globalism over the
past ten years.  When starting a new corporate entity, should you come
up with a name which is unique only to your own state or country?  Or
should you do a global name search to define a new one and gain global
trademark protection for it?

If the dot-com registry were operated efficiently and backed by a
trademark authority that had respect throughout the world, then it would
be less costly to set up and protect a new corporate name.

-rich