Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

  • From: John A. Tamplin
  • Date: Wed Mar 07 13:34:36 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> Parody and criticism are protected under trademark law(although those
> rights are being eroded quickly.)

Yes, if I wanted to write an article talking about how much I disliked
Walmart I can use their name as long as I am careful about libel/slander.
However, I think a web site's domain name is closer to a magazine title or a
company name (depending on its use) and thus exceeds that right.  IANAL,
this is just my opinion.

The big problem is that these IP laws were written long before many of these
technologies were even thought of and applying current technology to old
laws is open to interpretation.  It would be nice to clarify them, although
recent attempts (ie, DMCA, FCC ruling on HD signals) have added as many
problems as they solved.

John A. Tamplin					jat@jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave
770/431-9459 FAX		 		Smyrna, GA  30082-3723