Re: 64.0.0.0/8 etc. [was: Re: BGP Question - how do work around...]

  • From: Joe Provo
  • Date: Tue Feb 27 12:24:04 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:01:46AM -0800, Christian Nielsen wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2001, Simon Leinen wrote:
> > For 64.0.0.0/8 this seems to have happened in the meantime... but now
> > there's a route for 62.0.0.0/8 (the RIPE equivalent of 64.0.0.0/8), sigh.
>
> i dont know why you even allow 64/8 and/or 62/8 into your network. Filter
> them...

Amen to that. While we have and can go on for days about filtering on
the 'low end' of sizes in the modern allocation ranges, I sincerely hope
no one in their right mind would attempt to argue that there's any
purpose to accepting 24.0.0.0/8, 61.0.0.0/8 - 66.0.0.0/8.

I'm certain folks will kvetch about being able to filter large aggregates
in these spaces, but there is simply a lot of clueless classful configuration
that goes on Out There. Unsuprisingly, the recent-allocation spaces get
more hits on the filters than, say, net-24. Regardless on your stance of
allocation-boundary filtering, this is just sane defense of your network
against bogons.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375