Re: History of private peering and exchanges?

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Fri Feb 23 09:25:13 2001

Points well made. Perhaps I should clarify that my initial goal was more to track the evolution of commercial services. There's no question that individual academic and government networks preceded commercialization. For that matter, the evolution of regionals from a cooperative to a commercial model also isn't simple.

Thanks to all from whom I'm getting responses. Several people have pointed out that various key events in this history haven't really been written down, and I hope I can pull some of these together and make them available to the community.