Re: Beer and Gear surprise

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Wed Feb 21 17:59:02 2001

> Why is the event called "beer 'n gear" if I can't hand out T shirts and
> schwag?  Like the above writer, I always looked forward to collecting a
> drawerful of T shirts and trivia at past NANOG beer 'n gears.

"Gear" derives from the fact that equipment vendors are invited to
bring hardware to talk about. Sometimes we've had a bunch, sometimes
not so much. The vendors decide whether they want to bring equipment,
though - as has been pointed out, there's a non-trivial expense
involved.

Perhaps you might suggest that, in the event that trinkets return, the
name of the session be changed to "Beer and Gear and Trinkets" when
you fill out your survey form.

Stephen