Re: Network for Sale

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Tue Feb 20 10:46:44 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001, Paul Vixie wrote:

> nanog@Overkill.EnterZone.Net (John Fraizer) writes:
>
> > Beyond that, I'm _REALLY_ sick of people pissing and moaning about NAPS
> > being congestion points.  If you're so tired of the exchange point being
> > slow, INVEST IN MAKING IT FASTER!!!!! ...
>
> That's what PAIX did.  And Equinix for that matter.  Exchange points aren't
> slow, though I admit that some of the ATM-based exchanges have hit their
> scaling limit.  Exchange points based on Ethernet with rich PNI opportunities
> literally do not have scaling limits.

I'm curious - has anyone performed a study of the BGP convergence
times at NAPs? I mean, all those private interconnects are good and
fine and all, but with the existing BGP implementations in vendor
equipment today, I can see the BGP convergence as this big matrix
of relationships of BGP performance of peers routers.

On the same breath, why aren't people using route-servers at NAPs?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Romance novel?"
<adrian@creative.net.au>	 "Girl Porn."