Re: Little survey: What do people use to backup configurations ?

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Sat Feb 03 11:09:57 2001

 Several folks mention Rancid, which is a great system for what
 it is meant to do, Austin deserves much kudos.

 Additionally, w/ expect and cvs, one can write a custom system
 without too much work, but with Rancid, why bother?

 A company called Gold Wire Technology (www.goldwiretech.com) has
 an excellent product called "Forumlator".  It's more than just
 config archives; that's a small by-product of what it does.  High
 level, it's an industrial strength policy-based configuration
 management system,  Very impressive company and product.  They
 cover much of the OSS requirements for active network management,
 ie, not alarms or trending, but activation and change-management,
 etc.

 Two "tier 1" ISPs beta-tested the SW, and I think it's shipping for
 revenue RSN.

 -alan

  (...who has a vested interest in Gold Wire)

Thus spake Ulf Zimmermann (ulf@Alameda.net)
 on or about Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:34:47PM -0800: