Re: Miami

  • From: Bill Fumerola
  • Date: Thu Oct 12 15:44:44 2000

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 08:11:33PM +0100, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> >I am doing some research on connecting in Miami.  Does anyone have an
> >opinion on how well L3 Xroads is doing there?
>
> Is the L3 Xroads much more than just a novel way to sell transit? I know
> L3 try to promote it as a "peering point" a-like, but I'm not convinced.

My understanding of it is that people who want to be at the datacenter just
for inter-customer communication can do so and be charged less then those
who want to purchase full transit.

In practice I don't know how many people actually do this (which limits
its usefulness greatly). I'd love for level3-southfield(detroit) to turn
into a place where local michigan people all drop a circuit into and
keep traffic out of chicago.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

Disclaimer: my employer is a level3 customer and I am a customer of
someone who uses level3 dtw for transit. I'm speaking on my own behalf.