Re: Private ASN suppression

  • From: Daniel L. Golding
  • Date: Thu May 18 10:34:14 2000

Howard,

I wouldn't worry about non-confed stripping of private AS's. However the
limit of 1000 private AS's is worrisome. Some providers already use one
private AS per POP for doing confeds. With 2547 VPNs coming up (Juniper
will support this by the end of the year. I would be very surprised if
Cosine and Foundry didn't), we will need additional private AS's. The only
bright spot is that I suspect many folks wanting IP VPN services won't
want to run BGP and will do the route injections with statics. As long as
the RFC 2547 implementations support an extension to static routes so that
RD can be specificed, I suspect we'll be alright in the short term.

>From reading 2547 I can't think of any reason that all VPN customers of a
single ISP couldn't share a single private AS, as long as they had
distinct RD numbers.

- Dan Golding