Re: IGPs and services?

  • From: Bryan C. Andregg
  • Date: Thu May 18 10:16:13 2000

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 10:14:58PM -0400, jlewis@lewis.org mailed:
> Running a routing protocol on a unix box doesn't mean you're using it as a
> router.  Perhaps he just wants OSPF on a few servers so they can send
> their packets more efficiently.  Consider a case where you have a few
> access servers and unix servers on the same switch and a router connecting
> that POP to your backbone.  Having a routing protocol on those unix boxes
> means they can send packets directly to the appropriate access server (or
> the router) rather than everything to the router, just to have it spit the
> packets back out headed for an access server on that segment.

Pardon my ignorance here, but wont ICMP redirects take care of this situation
already?
--
                 Bryan C. Andregg * <bandregg@redhat.com> * Red Hat, Inc.

  gpg  1024D/19893A19	A8DA 869A 037A C6B5 BF07  AB61 E406 414B 1989 3A19
  pgp2 1024/625FA2C5	F5 F3 DC 2E 8E AF 26 B0 2C 31 78 C2 6C FB 02 77
  pgp5 1024/0x46E7A8A2	46EB 61B1 71BD 2960 723C 38B6 21E4 23CC 46E7 A8A2