Re: product liability (was: Virus Update)

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Tue May 09 13:23:30 2000

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 09:55:16AM -0700, Eugene Wong wrote:
> This seems a little strange.  In Jim's case the company wouldn't be suing
> anybody, because they'd only have themselves to blame.

i was speaking mostly with regards to the ILOVEYOU virus and variants,
as well as the melissa virus before.

if people insist on leaving their systems open to invasion, then they are
solely responsible for the damage that occurs.

it is not enough to say that people don't have time to read and/or patch
their systems.

that is like saying that there is no time to train school bus drivers,
just send them out to pick up our kids.

computers have become critical business tools.  many companies live and die
by their IS operations.

if they are gonna be so complacent that they get hit by things like this
virus, then i guess it is some kinda darwinian theory for business at work.

the ILOVEYOU virus is not the first, nor the last, expolit to make its rounds.

every time we see one hit, we hear about the millions and millions of dollars
"lost".

well, maybe a bit of preventative medicine would save some of those "losses".

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 506-0654 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]