Re: How long before NIPC decides we need one of these?

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Mon May 01 02:10:25 2000

On 04/30/00 11:00:12 PM gfresen@ais.net wrote:

>No, it's worse than that.  With your private key in their hands, they can
>write
>messages, put on appropriate dates and sign them ... then say that you wrote
>them. (depending upon the technology that is used)

Yes. Couple that with treating key confiscation as a minor thing and I'd be
surprised if someone's key didn't end up accidentally being sent to a well-
connected competitor.

One possible line of defense other than complete civil disobediance might be
providing only the session key(s) used for encrypted documents instead of the
key-pair. It'd be interesting to see if the courts accept this.