Re: Question about strain on the A root server

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Sat Apr 22 20:25:05 2000

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Nick Patience wrote:

> NSI seems slightly unsure as to the main reason for the increase in hits,
> but speculates that one of the reasons may be
> says the main reason for this is that ISP's are using different caching
> techniques and more & more searches are going right to the top of the tree
> than before.

I have heard from a source that Windows 2000 is sending a whole bunch of
"interesting" packets towards the root servers.  I don't know if this is
true or not, but if it is, this seems to coincide timing wise.   The
person I talked to referred to the packets as "update notifications" or
something like that.  Maybe NOTIFY implemented weirdly?

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648