Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Gary E. Miller
  • Date: Mon Mar 13 17:46:43 2000

Yo All!

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Randy Bush wrote:

> > a DNS oriented approach can be feasible in many situations.
>
> yup.  unfortunately the hack is not a good net citizen (some folk don't
> appreciate packets thrown at their servers), and some versions are not
> very accurate (as the server for foo.bar may be quite net.far from the
> host foo.bar).

I have DNS servers in Singapore and Germany for hosts in California
(and vice versa).

I do this so the next time NorCal has a major power outage, or Taiwan
has an earthquake, that I do not lose my DNS in major sections or
internet space!

Checking the path to my DNS servers tells you NOTHING about the
path to my hosts.

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676