Re: Provider-local addresses?

  • From: Brian Candler
  • Date: Thu Mar 09 19:57:58 2000

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 02:49:03PM -0500, Daniel L. Golding wrote:
> I'm not sure I see the point. You can use the existing RFC1918 space for
> this kind of application, such as having fixed, non-changing addresses
> for DNS.

Except that you want to avoid clashes with your customers' own networks,
which may already be using RFC1918 behind NAT routers. You could hijack some
of this space ("if you connect to me, you may not use this particular subnet
of RFC1918") but that's not particularly friendly.

> The whole kettle of worms are downstream allocated IP customers - be they
> leased line, DSL, etc. This is the renumbering that can and does cost
> small providers many customers

Yeah, that's pretty inescapable :-)

Cheers,

Brian.