Re: whois broke again?

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Sun Feb 20 18:58:52 2000

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" wrote:
> Then I suggest that you do. I wouldn't sign the NDA, but you might.

What NDA?  It's draft-hollenbeck-rrp-01.txt.

But this is irrelevant to the whois discussion.

> With SRS, this is no longer possible as the whois data is already
> distributed among NSI's channel market, the Registrars. Each are independent
> entities. The only real target you have to fire at is the ICANN. GFL ...
> they're broke.

I think we must be talking at cross purposes.  The domain whois data is
located in whois servers, maintained by the NSI registry.  It is
updated by registrars.

The NSI registry whois seems to be falling down and cannot get up.
We need a good system of distributed whois servers, just as we have
a robust system of distributed DNS servers.

We've talked about this before.  Rather than complaining about NSI,
folk need to get off their duffs and make it happen.

I don't have the kind of bandwidth that we should have at the whois
servers, so I cannnot offer space.  All I can do is chearlead (and
write code).

Are we lacking an incremental distribution protocol for whois?

What about rwhois?  (RFC-2167 Informational)

What about whois++? (RFC-1913 & 1914 Proposed Standards)

WSimpson@UMich.edu