alternatives to private RFC-1918 addresses on public routers

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Fri Feb 18 10:52:19 2000

When I complain, I prefer to suggest alternatives.  In this case, the
two that come to mind are:

 1) unnumbered interfaces.  I've used these with PPP for years, but as
    I remember, there was a problem with Ciscos.  Has this been fixed?

 2) host routes.  Rather than creating /30 subnets for links (wasting
    2 addresses for each 2 used on a link), go all the way and use /32
    for each address.  This make the local routing table a bit bigger,
    but the entries are rarely used, and aggregated at the boundaries.

Thoughts?

Isn't there a link around somewhere on this?

What about a link for bogon filters to use at boundaries?

WSimpson@UMich.edu