RE: Cisco - ip verify unicast reverse-path

  • From: Paul Ferguson
  • Date: Sat Feb 12 21:25:05 2000

At 09:18 PM 02/12/2000 -0500, jlixfeld@idirect.com wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has the potential to cause more damage than
anything else if you network routes asynchronously.  I turned it on a while
ago and noticed my in and outbound traffic dropped by about 60%.  I'm sure
that the 60% drop in traffic had to do with traffic coming into the network
on one interface and being local pref'd out a different interface.

Because of the asynchronous routing, it's useless in my environment, unless
there is a knob that doesn't cause it to break under these circumstances.

If not, would this feature not be best suited for ISPs who are not in a BGP
relationship with their upstreams?
Like everything else, it depends.

There's always RFC2267.

- paul