Re: Info on the DoS attacks.

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 00:40:46 2000

According to what the FBI said in the announcement they made tonight with
CERT and the US Justice Department, it's a packet based attack that's
directed at hosts and filling up pipes in the process.  They didn't come
out and say this, but from the details they did divulge that's what I was
able to gather.

However, as was evidinced by the C-SPAN coverage of this press conference,
it's an on-going investigation, so official details are going to be
sketchy for the time being, though I do get the impression from the FBI
and CERT representatives that they haven't even started sifting through
the logs yet.  The mouthpieces who were used at the conference certainly
didn't sound too terribly clued on the specifics.

--
Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
Computer Security Consultant and Programmer