Re: Napster & other bandwidth hogs

  • From: Jeff Mcadams
  • Date: Mon Jan 24 15:29:49 2000

Thus spake Randy Bush
>> Since these apps are becoming more and more prevalent, as college students
>> are huge collectors of digital music, and as bandwidth is always a
>> concern, I am wondering what others in either the educational or business
>> community are doing in light of this.

>pretending we're in business, charging for bandwidth, and crying all
>the way to the bank.

>when the customer wants more of your product, and if you find this
>negative, then your business model needs re-evaluation.

Considering that his email address ended in ".edu" and was asking his
question as a representative of such an institution (which you
considerably cut out of your response ;), I would say that your
statement about his business model needing re-evaluation is a bit
uncalled for.

I will agree that you, as a business-person, would find the extra use of
bandwidth of something like napster nice because you then go on and
charge for the bandwidth...being in the business environment myself, I
wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment...but I also understand that
the original poster is not working from the same paradigm.  :)
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm@iglou.com
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848