Re: Cable and Local Monopoly

  • From: Steve Meuse
  • Date: Tue Jan 11 13:35:38 2000

At 12:08 PM 01/11/2000 -0500, Paul G. Donner wrote:

Does anyone know if there is an FCC or other Federal mandate
or regulation requiring Cable companies to provide cable service
to all dwellings within their alloted geographic area?
Paul Donner
 Consulting Engineering
 Office of the CTO
 Internet Architecture
ciscoSystems, Inc.
I don't believe that this is regulated by the FCC. In my part of the world (Massachusetts) each town negotiates coverage within the town. We recently re-negotiated our contract, the clauses usually will say "Will provide service to any dwelling up to 200 feet from a public way". So, if your house is 1/4 mile from any road, you need to negotiate a price with the local cable company.

-Steve