Re: Customers down?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Jan 01 08:32:47 2000

On Fri, 31 December 1999, jlewis@lewis.org wrote:
> I guess our customers aren't that silly.  I did notice some big sites down
> though.  I tried to check a price with Tech Data earlier this evening and
> found that www.techdata.com didn't exist.  Traceroute to their
> nameserver(s)
>
> techdata.com.           2D IN NS        NS1.techdata.com.
> techdata.com.           2D IN NS        NS2.techdata.com.
> NS1.techdata.com.       2D IN A         169.153.202.40
> NS2.techdata.com.       2D IN A         169.153.202.41
>
> ends in a CW routing loop suggesting TD shut off their connection for the
> evening.

Putting your only name servers on the same subnet (unless Tech Data has
VERY small subnets) isn't very smart no matter what day it is.  Too many
things can take down your one network.  Instead of queueing mail, many mail programs will generate permanent errors and immediate bounces.

Gun, Foot, Self.