Re: Curious thing in a Cisco router

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Dec 31 23:12:00 1999

At 10:17 PM -0200 12/31/99, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
>While monitoring GMT Y2K progression on a Cisco router, something curious
>showed up:
[...]
>Notice the dot before the time; it was not appearing before, and even on the
>first sample after GMT Y2K-rollover (local time is GMT -0200). It now shows
>up on every 'show clock'.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with cisco, but if you are synchronizing
to certain NTP servers (i.e. usno or nist) they currently have reachability
problems.  So your cisco reports a "." that your ntp is unsynchronized.

I haven't found out if the government networks are deliberately throttling
traffic or if the links to the time servers are just congested.

I have no idea why it started at almost exactly midnight UTC.