Re: Verio Decides what parts of the internet to drop

  • From: James Smith
  • Date: Sat Dec 04 19:23:50 1999

The unfortunate reality is that there are a lot of businesses that need
99.99% reliability and uptime, but aren't big enough to get a /19.

My previous company was a credit card processing gateway.  If they went
down, their customers were screwed.  But they hadn't even used a Class C,
so they weren't eligible for a /19 or /20 from ARIN.

My point is that the current requirement that a network must have a large
chunck of IP space to be multi-homed is not ideal.  According to the
status quo, while an e-commerce company such as a credit card processor
may be big in the business world and worth millions, but insignificant on
the Net and left vulnerable because it can't be multi-homed.

--
James Smith, CCNA
Network/System Administrator

http://www.dxstorm.com/