Re: ** ANNOUNCE -- New RADB Fee Structure **

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Tue Oct 26 11:50:12 1999

> Right.  In going over my Qwest contract I signed last week, it's required
> that I have maintainer objects in the RADB in order to get my BGP
> announcements listened to by Qwest since they build their filters out of
> it.  I had no problem with that on Friday when I signed, but upon hearing
> that unpaid objects would be removed, I'm a bit worried now.  If Merit can
Hmm, do you remember all mistakes done in the domain data base? If someone
lost your domain, you can at least look on the WWW page or sent a mail; if
someone lost your routing, you can turn off all your equipment and go
fishing /and you can close your business/. And remember, we are going to
the VoIP telephony - in some cases you even can not call them...

No, any attempt to remove route objects (not the maintaners) due to some
fee's means the death of the RA-DB as the route-registry.

Alex.

> paying for the service.  But seeing as how humans make mistakes, I can
> only guess that it will happen at least once, and it could be highly
> annoying if it happens often or to the right maintainer object.
>
> I concur with you.  It's much safer to just block all changes to objects
> that haven't been paid for instead of outright deleting them.  Not to cast
> aspersions upon Merit, but the last thing we need is a registry that makes
> mistakes like NSI has done to many in the past.
>
> --
> Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
> Free UNIX advocate - "I hack, therefore I am."
>
> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Alex P. Rudnev wrote:
>
> > I just have written (through I am out of this problems) - I can't discuss
> > the fee idea, but any attempt to REMOVE something unpaid can destroy the
> > internet at whole... This days a lot of filters over the world are built
> > from this data bases, and a lot of networks can (simple) forgot to pay...
> >

> > The alternative idea should be to block the future changes for the unpaid
> > objects - at least it's safe and can not destroy the network.
> >
> > Alex. /I am in Russia now, and don't bother about RA-DB fee, but I am
> > bother about the Internet stability/.

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)