Re: NSI again removes services

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Wed Oct 20 19:59:11 1999

[ On Wednesday, October 20, 1999 at 14:14:12 (-0700), Chris Cappuccio wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: NSI again removes services
>
> The fact that several widely used Linux distributions still have this
> ancient, broken program that I cobbled together from old finger source code
> nearly 8 years ago should speak for itself ;)

*Eight* years old!  Even the latest version of the real whois isn't
quite that old yet!  ;-)  I had no idea!  Congratulations at least for
having your code survive for that long.  That might also explain why I
wasn't able to find a canonical distribution site for the source code.

Sometimes I wonder about the tastes of some of those who make up Linux
distributions.  Other times I wonder whether or not they've just got a
hate on for anything from *BSD!  :-)

(Oh how I pine for the idea of a single distributed rwhois-style
database where a simple query would always find the answer no matter
who's whois data it was!)

--
							Greg A. Woods