Re: Network Solutions is now in the wringer

  • From: Jeremy Porter
  • Date: Sun Mar 28 12:24:52 1999

In message <3.0.6.32.19990327224345.00d4ad00@norfolk.infi.net>, Dean Robb writes:

>At 01:22 3/27/99 -0600, Sean Donelan wrote:
>>
>>pceasy@norfolk.INfi.NET (Dean Robb) writes:
>>>While not a network operator, I think it would be most prudent to consider
>>>and discuss (among those who ARE netops) what do to if, say, the root
>>>server were suddenly comletely unaccessible for several days/permanently
>>>for *whatever* reason.
>>
>>Duh, isn't that why there is more than one root server in the world?
>
>My concern is with the master server that NSI operates.  My hope was that a
>netop who *didn't* have a contingency plan might start putting one together.
>
>>However I feel some people confuse the data in the root servers, with
>>the databases used to generate those zone files.  There is a subtle, but
>>important difference.  And why simply copying the zone files is not
>>sufficient.
>
>So who has copies of the databases?  If NSI's master (the a-root?) is
>unavailable, new domains obviously wouldn't propagate, but how long can the
>other root servers go without getting an update?  Does the system as
>currently configured *require* some server somewhere to be the master and
>is there one that can take over if NSI's are toast?

       origin = A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
        mail addr = hostmaster.INTERNIC.NET
        serial = 1999032605
        refresh = 1800 (30M)
        retry   = 900 (15M)
        expire  = 604800 (1W)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)

Well the expire is 1W so by default the zones will be valid in all servers for a week
after a.root-servers.net goes away (if that were to happen.)

--- jerry@fc.net
Insync Internet, Inc.          | Freeside Communications, Inc.
5555 San Felipe, Suite 700     | PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708
713-407-7000                   | 512-458-9810
http://www.insync.net          | http://www.fc.net