Re: Root servers and transition

  • From: Bruce Campbell
  • Date: Sat Mar 27 06:20:49 1999

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, J.D. Falk wrote:
> 	Good question...not to put y'all on the spot or anything,
> 	but do any of the root server operators already have some
> 	procedures in place for such an occurance?

RCS, either regularly triggered:

	*/15 * * * * ci -u -m"Zone Update" root.zone.secondary.file ; co -l
             root.zone.secondary.file

	(Add your own wrapper to ensure you don't RCS the file during an
	 actual zone reload)

or the same triggered on a zone change (logsurfer/named-xfer).  The
important thing is to keep copies of zone changes as they occur which you
can roll back if required.  Add your own dns-lint/awwooga, too many
changes scripts.

(I run RCS on the zones under our control, but not as yet on the zones we
 secondary; just give me a few moments ;) )

The 'Internet' is a physical and social network which was founded on
casual trust.  Hackers have shown that this trust can be abused, Crackers
have shown that it will be abused.  And NetSOL?

--==--
Bruce.

si libet alius me dat, domina