Re: DNS entry abuse question

  • From: Edward S. Marshall
  • Date: Fri Mar 19 22:17:41 1999

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Peter Day wrote:
> Although we can contact bee.net and the student to address this violation
> of our policy, my question is whether there is anything we can do in
> general to prevent people from pointing DNS names at computers at Emory
> without our permission.

You're absolutely correct.

Can you clearly explain why you care, other that defamation issues (which
I address below)? Is this somehow impacting your ability to operate in
some fashion?

> Presumably there is great opportunity for mischief here, in that
> someone could register a domain name such as emorysucks.org and point
> it at our web site.

That's a defamation issue. It's a social problem, and needs a social
solution. In this case, you contact the people doing it, and if they're
not helpful, you call your lawyer.

Technology can't solve everything.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

    Linux labyrinth 2.2.3-ac2 #2 Thu Mar 18 19:48:40 CST 1999 i586 unknown
       9:10pm up 1 day, 31 min, 4 users, load average: 0.24, 0.08, 0.09