Re: DNS entry abuse question

  • From: Tim Finkenstadt
  • Date: Fri Mar 19 11:07:08 1999

> Although we can contact bee.net and the student to address this violation
> of our policy, my question is whether there is anything we can do in
> general to prevent people from pointing DNS names at computers at Emory
> without our permission. Presumably there is great opportunity for mischief
> here, in that someone could register a domain name such as emorysucks.org
> and point it at our web site.
>
> If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please accept my apology
> and suggest an alternate place.

There isn't any way to prevent others from assigning A records in their
domains to point to hosts and addresses in Emory.  All you can do is
contact the DNS administrators and owners of the domains to remove the
offending records.

The more appropriate place to ask this might be one of the BIND/DNS
group/mailing lists that are out there.

HTH,

tim