DNS entry abuse question

  • From: Peter Day
  • Date: Fri Mar 19 10:59:28 1999

We recently discovered that bee.net DNS is pointing the name molvis.org at
our main web server, www.emory.edu, without our permission. The billing
contact for molvis.org is a student at Emory.

Although we can contact bee.net and the student to address this violation
of our policy, my question is whether there is anything we can do in
general to prevent people from pointing DNS names at computers at Emory
without our permission. Presumably there is great opportunity for mischief
here, in that someone could register a domain name such as emorysucks.org
and point it at our web site.

If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please accept my apology
and suggest an alternate place.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Peter Day
Emory.edu administrative contact
Information Technology Division
N. Decatur Bldg Suite 300      | E-mail: ospwd@emory.edu
Emory University               | PHONE:  +1 404 727-7678
Atlanta, GA 30322              | FAX:    +1 404 727-0817