Re: GateD + OSPF Q

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Wed Feb 24 19:41:53 1999

> At 10:34 2/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Brandon Applegate wrote:
> >
> >> Would a question about GateD with OSPF be off topic for the list ??
> >
> >Yes
>
> I disagree.  The main reason I personally read this list is to listen and
> learn.  It would be a sad state of affairs if an operational or technical
> question was off-topic, don't you think ?

There are other lists where gated is discussed; an excellent way to
find them is to start at http://www.gated.org/, as was suggested by
Nathan Stratton.

This list is supposed to be primarily about *interprovider* issues.
>From the mailing list charter/AUP:

     The NANOG mailing list is established to provide a forum for the
     exchange of technical information and the discussion of specific
     implementation issues that require cooperation among network service
     providers.

That last clause is the important one: "that require cooperation among
network service providers."

There's probably nothing about gated with OSPF that requires
cooperation among network service providers, so the assumption that
the post would be off-topic *for NANOG* is valid.

This isn't entirely about keeping such traffic off NANOG, either; the
gated lists are MUCH more likely to provide help in the area of "gated
with OSPF."

Stephen