Re: hotmail.com ... again ?!?

  • From: Dalvenjah FoxFire
  • Date: Fri Dec 18 13:47:13 1998

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 12:31:01PM +0100, Carl Moberg put this into my mailbox:

> I am (once again) experiencing _heavy_ problems delivering
> mail to mail.hotmail.com. My SMTP sessions keep timing out
> in the initial phase. TCP is up clean but it seems like
> the servers are having a hard time producing anything SMTP-like.
>
> Anyone else ?

Yes; most of the time connections to mail.hotmail.com port 25 are refused
or time out. About one in twenty connections seem to get a successful SMTP
greeting; this is a problem for anyone running a well-configured sendmail,
because it only tries to deliver once every 15 minutes or so.

They probably wouldn't be having these problems if they used MX records
for what they're supposed to be used for, rather than trying to reinvent
the wheel with their load balancer crap.

-dalvenjah

--
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  The name's Bean....Mr. Bean.
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network

 e-mail: dalvenjah@dal.net             WWW: http://www.dal.net/~dalvenjah/
 whois: SN90                           Try DALnet! http://www.dal.net/