Re: Y2K Was: Re: POWER: San Mateo/San Francisco power outage report

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Wed Dec 09 21:37:40 1998

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 06:57:54PM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 11:19:46AM -0500, David Lesher wrote:
> > This is topic creeping so I'll close with one thought. Power
> > is hard because: unlike TCP/IP bits, when things fall down,
> > you gotta get RID of the stuff blowing back in your face NOW,
> > or lots of things get turned to smoke. Suppose that when your
> > big box of bits stutters; the box feeding you in LA didn't just
> > stop, but halted & caught fire...and that meant YOUR box, that
> > was picking itself back up, just did likewise.
>
> Hint: AT&T, SS7, 1990.

David Lesher has kindly pointed out to me that I had a backhoe fade of
the brain shortly before posting this message.

Nevermind.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592