Re: More Sidgemore on per-bit pricing

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Wed Dec 09 00:38:15 1998

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 11:03:16PM -0500, Nathan Stratton wrote:
> > Well what if I had a xDSL local loop from someone like Northpoint for
> > something like $150 and then did the per bit model.  A T1 (or even slightly
> > less) for $350 starts to look rather attractive to a lot of people.
>
> True, but if you become a CLEC and use something like access method 5 you
> can get that loop cost to around $30 and also offer voice services using
> the first 4 kHz of the loop.

Yeah... but you _STILL_ can't get that large a router port for that
little money, and you never will.

Bandwidth is what costs money, not copper.

Cheers,
-- jr 'and people _STILL_ miss this' a
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592