Re: Effects of traffic shaping ICMP (&c.)

  • From: Pete Kruckenberg
  • Date: Wed Dec 02 17:50:50 1998

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Mark R. Lindsey wrote:

> Could traffic shaping, or similar QoS configurations, be used to solve
> such issues in a more general way? For example, if my source of packet
> flooding is ICMP, then I'd like to be able to dedicate as much as 1/10th
> (e.g.) of the bandwidth of each link to ICMP. That's plenty of ICMP, but
> it's not so much that an attack using ICMP would be effective.

At the last NANOG, there was a presentation about Cisco's CAR and how
@Home was using it to limit ICMP and detect unusual ICMP activity. Well,
that was part of the talk, at least.

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-9811/ppt/witt/index.htm : presentation slides
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-9811/cartalk.ram : presentation in RealVideo