Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Wed Sep 30 17:44:19 1998

On September 30, 1998 at 12:42 karl@best.net (Karl Mueller) wrote:

 > I have two proposals:
 >
 > 1) Clearly, .COM is used for criminal and malicious activities.
 >    I propose that we remove it due to abuse.
 >
 > 2) Barry Shein serves no useful purpose and should also be removed.
 >
 > Karl

I'm not sure what your problem is or what prompted this childish
remark. I'm sorry if I presented what I believe to have been a
reasoned comment with evidence and documentation etc. and somehow
elicted this from you. I can't figure out why, however.

If .com were used, for example, only for Slobbovian Universities, were
being managed by one to the exclusion of other uses, etc, then perhaps
it would be a good reason to consider decommissioning .com.

And if the .to domain is not in any way being used as a TLD for the
Kingdom of Tonga, but instead is being used only as a safe harbor for
what appear to be malicious activities, then perhaps it should be
decommissioned.

Is that simple enough?

One problem, as I see it, is that people claim they would prefer
non-governmental regulation of the internet. Yet any suggestion that
we do this is met with these sort of sneering, uncalled for,
tangential, childish remarks made by individuals who obviously
shouldn't be involved in regulating anything.

I think it's beginning to become obvious, to me anyhow, that any claim
that the internet is better regulated by those who are involved in its
engineering is a total failure as a concept.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*