Re: Alternative sources for Cisco memory?

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Thu Sep 24 16:22:31 1998

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Craig A. Huegen wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 12:35:20PM -0400, Nathan Stratton wrote:
>
> ==>You sure can, most providers upgrade the memory on their ciscos with 3rd
> ==>party RAM, the cisco stuff just cost to much. I dont know of "Cisco
> ==>certified" memory dealers, but just buying decent RAM from any good vender
> ==>should be fine.
>
> "Decent RAM" does *not* cut it--you need *good* RAM from a good vendor.

Sorry let me change my above "decent RAM from any good vender" to "good
RAM from any decent vendor." I was not aware that was such a big
difference between decent and good RAM. Are decent vendors ok, or do
they need to be good vendors like the good RAM? ;-)

> Be aware that this recommendation is not complete without the caveat
> that Cisco will not support your processor card if you stick
> unapproved third-party RAM in it.  It's very important to use QUALITY
> memory in the box.

True. I also don't recommend you broadcasting to Cisco that you are doing
this.

> With that said, Cisco does have an AVL (authorized vendor list) for
> third-party memory.  Kingston carries this, and will even cross-ref
> the Cisco part numbers for you.
>
> /cah
>

><>
Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net	 		nathan@robotics.net
--
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by
his great strength."                               - Psalm 33:16