Re: Flash crowds and network management

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Sep 14 14:48:18 1998

bicknell@dimension.NET (Leo Bicknell) writes:
>	That's 5600 hits a second, for those who don't want to
>fire up bc.  Not bad.

Some government servers were seeing over 10,000 hits per second
at the peak, about double CNN's load.

So does anyone have any practical/technical advise on how the
government sites could have done better.  Be carefull about
following IBM's webhosting manager J.D. Zeeman's example of
foot-in-mouth problem when he said "I doubt they are scalable
to the extent of the ones we have."  LOC's servers were made
by IBM.